In Print, the professional writers’ organization, will be celebrating its 5th anniversary on Saturday, March 12 from 1:00 to 4:00 pm at Cliffbreakers in Rockford and I can’t wait! I co-founded In Print and am incredibly proud that the organization has made such a wonderful impact on writers in the Rockford area.
So here goes — what In Print means to me – my five point countdown:
- Opportunities: Because of In Print our members promote their books at In Print’s Author Fairs and on In Print Radio, pitch their stories to agents at UW-Madison Writers’ Institute, and talk to publishers and screenwriters at Writers Block Parties.
- Production: In Print members have many chances to create at the monthly Prompt Club meetings, for In Print writing contests, and during writing retreats in the forests of Camp Winnebago, at a beautiful Victorian Home in DeKalb, and on the shores of Lake Summerset.
- Growth: In Print writers improve their craft by attending workshops taught by In Print board members and Laurie Scheer, the director of UW-Madison’s Writers’ Institute, gather important information from keynote speakers such as Colombia College Professor Eric Charles May and best-selling author Terri Reid, and debate plot issues during the Writers as Readers Book Club.
- Celebration: At the beginning of every general meeting, at our Year End Celebration of Successes meeting, and during our collaboration with artists at our Word of Art and Word of Art 2 receptions, we celebrate the incredible successes of our members — from completing a short story to polishing a manuscript to publishing a book to winning a national award.
- Support: Writing is an isolating pursuit and yet writers are human — we need the community of other writers. In Print provides that support by including time to simply socialize at general meetings, retreats, and events such as Word of Art receptions and our 5th Anniversary party. Ask writers about their books and watch their passion ignite as they talk about the character who’s being obstinate or the reader who thanked them for writing their book. For me, this connection to other writers is the main purpose of In Print and its ultimate success.
Join me and an amazing community of writers as we celebrate five incredible years of In Print!
Tickets are $20 and include soft drinks, appetizers, desserts, and a program. There will also be a cash bar and silent auction. Tickets can be purchased online using the PayPal link below (there is a $1 / ticket surcharge).